Skip to main content

Book Review: Hidden Deep

HIDDEN DEEP by Amy Patrick
5 Stars
Verdict: For teens who love supernatural romances.


Shortened blurb: Sixteen-year-old Ryann Carroll is irresistibly drawn to the woods. There she encounters the boy who kept her from freezing to death that long ago winter night and was nowhere to be seen when rescuers arrived. He's still mysterious, but now all grown-up and gorgeous, too. And the more she's with him, the greater the threat he poses to Ryann's strict policy-- never want someone more than he wants you. 

I’ve read a lot of disappointing book lately, and after reading this one, I realised something. A five star book doesn’t have to be flawless; it has to make me love it despite its flaws. Hidden Deep is one of those books.

I loved Ryann. She's a character with Southern American charm who strives to remember that a man shouldn’t be her everything, he should the icing on the cake.  I was drawn in by her voice and entertained by the way she chose to go about getting her way. She wasn’t perfect and lived to regret, and that made her very easy to connect with.

It starts out with a mystery boy and instant chemistry followed by forbidden love and another boy on the scene. I couldn’t help but think of Twilight although I can promise you this book has something more to it. More energy, character, and far more mystery.

Broodiness is replaced with sassiness.

Blood is substituted for sweet tea.

Vampires become.... well, something I was never going to guess!

Not knowing what Lad was made me read and read and read. That said, a lot of this book was very predictable. Some of the ‘twists’ were so obvious I was surprised the main character didn’t cotton on earlier. I would go as far to say that some scenes should have happened sooner, and once they finally came around, it was more about getting that bit over and done with. Yet even in those moments, I wasn’t too sure which way the characters would swing and that’s what made me keep reading.

Some parts warmed my heart, others made me smile. Most of all, I was rooting for Ryann and Lad to find a way to make their romance work. What more could you ask for in a romance novel?

A few sections were a little abrupt and once or twice the scene jumped forward within a paragraph rather than a break. That’s more of a stylistic choice and didn’t ruin the book for me in the slightest.

The epilogue on the other hand threw me and I'm not too sure what to make of it yet. It’s basically a snippet that yanks you by the hair as you try to put the book down, asking, “Where do you think you’re going? Not away from this series, I hope...”

As a standalone novel, epilogue not included, it’s a book I was glad to read and sad to finish. On the other hand, book 2 will need to have more to it. The story needs to get more complicated and less... happy. It’s all very sweet and fuzzy at the moment, which is a welcomed change in the young adult category, but it won’t work if it continues with the same feel. It needs to get a bit rougher or darker, a little more conflict and a bit less predictability.

Despite those flaws, I loved it. The mystery, the narrator’s voice, the men... This book was more than just the icing for me. ;)

Source: NetGalley.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I took my book for a walk

I know what you're thinking...or actually, I don't.  It's easy to picture that anyone who reads your work will only see the negatives. They have every right to, after all, and I'm a big critic myself. I find things to improve in most books, even when I give them five star reviews. This is why solidifying one of my novels into print was a big step for me, and because of Sod's Law, it coincided with one of the hardest times of my life to date. When my book published, I struggled to market it. Besides being crippled with morning sickness, followed by a decent into depression and anxiety (coupled with friends not really liking my book - only softened slightly by the fact they don't like YA/reading), I didn't have the energy - emotionally or physically - to give my book the launch it deserved.  It deserved better.  Because no matter what, I put a lot of work into The Clearing. Over several years and iterations, too. I'm proud of the twists, and I enjoy hearin

Book Review: Threads That Bind

THREADS THAT BIND by Kika Hatzopolou Disclaimer time: As always, the following is just my opinion. Other opinions are available.  THREADS THAT BIND is an epic fantasy with an urban feel. It has a fascinating magic system inspired by Greek mythology, and a story that explores the bonds of sibling relationships. Overall, it's a fast-paced book about fate, choices, and forgiving yourself, so prepare for morally grey moments and difficult sibling relationships.  Io and her sisters are descendants of the Fates, which means they're able to see and manipulate the threads that connect people to the things they love. Io is the third sister, and therefore she is able to cut threads. The story kicks off when Io is hired by the 'mobqueen' to investigate murders linked to vengeful wraiths. To top it off, she has to work with the very person she's been avoiding for years, a boy she's fated to love - except he already has a girlfriend. If you think that the above sounds like t

Indie Book Review: The City of Snow and Stars

THE CITY OF SNOW AND STARS by S.D. Howard 4 Stars Verdict: A dark fantasy with a wholesome cast.  Trigger warning for rape/abuse.  'I'm not wanted for me, only what I can give, and there is nothing left.' I don't usually quote books, but this is a very quotable story! The dialogue was powerful in places, and the way the characters bonded together was the strength of this Christian fantasy adventure.   It's written in third person with a narrative that I personally found a little distant at times. That said, the characters are easy to root for. Runaways Trinia and Jayden team up with a wizard to take down Trinia's abusive father before he can take over the kingdom. They're joined by a talking wolf and a shapeshifter called Batanny, who in many ways seems like an older version of Trinia. Threads of pain run through this book and pull the characters together in a way that makes this dark read still feel wholesome at times.  It soon became an easy to enjoy fant