Skip to main content

Author Interview: Ryan Eric

Today I have an interview with aspiring author Ryan Eric on all things writing. I hope you enjoy!

What inspires you to write?

I guess I just have a big imagination. A lot stories feel like they are trapped and I need to get them out on paper, as crazy as that might sound. I write more to free the stories in my head as opposed to any other reason.

What is your favourite genre to read?

Probably something like romance. I think it’s exciting to see the rise of plot and action among the attraction between two people. Many romance stories that I’ve read often have much more to tell an audience anyway, such as coming-of-age or Bildungsroman stories. In these cases I’m referring to, the romance is more of a medium to tell how people grow up and deal or rationalize with the society around them.

What genre do you write? Why?

I enjoy writing fantasy. I don’t know why, but I just can’t stay away from writing some sort of twist on society. Even if it’s about social media and technology, I’d want it to be futuristic- Such as Sci-Fi novels.

Who was your favourite author of your childhood?

I enjoyed Heather Brewer, who wrote The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod. I kept up with it throughout all of my years in middle-school. I’ve also been trying to get back into James Patterson- I read Daniel X when I was in the earlier parts of high-school, at around the same time everybody had the hots for the Maximum Ride series.

Who is your favourite author now?

I read a lot more Manga than I do western books, and I’d say my favorite writer of Manga would have to be Takaya Kagami, who presides over the story for one of my favorites, Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign.

Which author do you think your writing is most like?

I actually had no intent for this, really, but a year back I was close friends with someone who read a series called The Mortal Instruments by a woman named Cassandra Claire. At the time I’d been writing stories about faeries and hunters, and as such I found myself put in a kind of line with Shadow Hunters. I read a chapter of her book, Clockwork Angel, the other day and I really was hooked right away. I think substance-wise, we write very similar things. I need to read her more.

What are your writing goals (however big or small is up to you!)?

I wouldn’t say I have any egoistic or totally ambitious plans, I guess, for writing. I do, however, like to set up some objectives or metrics while writing a story. I find it helps me get focused and hunkered down into my chair, when I make an attempt to write 400-3000 words for each chapter of a story I’d be working on.

What is your biggest writing achievement so far?

Well, I find that kind of hard to say. I’ve actually published, as in produced hard copies, an old trilogy I had set aside for the longest time. But most recently I’ve gotten 1,000+ views on a story on Wattpad, which I find to be especially rewarding because it was an original story of mine and thus I couldn’t really play off of pre-existing advertisements and collective images like people do when they write fanfiction. I hope that makes sense.

What is the best comment you've received about your writing?

I don’t think I’ve received one - I’ve received a few. I’d say it’s balanced feedback. Whenever people leave a comment on my stories that highlights the pros and cons of a chapter of mine, I absolutely find it so supportive.

What are you working on at the moment?

At the moment, I have a few projects with my writing. And I’ll probably always be in the predicament where I have “a few projects”, because I like to hop between tasks a lot. I’m currently writing three stories- Cardinal Order, Riveters, and N-Sequence: Tell. Cardinal Order is about a genetically modified human specifically tailored to fight faeries, Riveters is a scandalous romance and erotica story about a teacher who falls in love with their student (please note that the student is of legal age, at 18 years), and N-Sequence: Tell is about a school designed for students with special powers called ‘Sequences’ and how the school pits them against each other- You can compare it to The Hunger Games if you’d like!

Quick fire round!

- Pace or prose?
Prose

- Brilliant characters or a shocking twist?
Shocking twist

- Happy ending or bittersweet?
Happy ending

- First person or third person?
Third person

- Multiple POVs or single POV?
Multiple POVs

- Romance or thriller?
Thriller

- Fantasy or Sci-fi?
Sci-Fi

- Heroes or villains?
Villains

Where to find  Ryan Eric
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ryan_cier/
Writing site: https://www.wattpad.com/user/CierRyland
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/mysterycrystal

*Note: Also, don't forget to enter this giveaway, or this one!*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I took my book for a walk

I know what you're thinking...or actually, I don't.  It's easy to picture that anyone who reads your work will only see the negatives. They have every right to, after all, and I'm a big critic myself. I find things to improve in most books, even when I give them five star reviews. This is why solidifying one of my novels into print was a big step for me, and because of Sod's Law, it coincided with one of the hardest times of my life to date. When my book published, I struggled to market it. Besides being crippled with morning sickness, followed by a decent into depression and anxiety (coupled with friends not really liking my book - only softened slightly by the fact they don't like YA/reading), I didn't have the energy - emotionally or physically - to give my book the launch it deserved.  It deserved better.  Because no matter what, I put a lot of work into The Clearing. Over several years and iterations, too. I'm proud of the twists, and I enjoy hearin

Book Review: Threads That Bind

THREADS THAT BIND by Kika Hatzopolou Disclaimer time: As always, the following is just my opinion. Other opinions are available.  THREADS THAT BIND is an epic fantasy with an urban feel. It has a fascinating magic system inspired by Greek mythology, and a story that explores the bonds of sibling relationships. Overall, it's a fast-paced book about fate, choices, and forgiving yourself, so prepare for morally grey moments and difficult sibling relationships.  Io and her sisters are descendants of the Fates, which means they're able to see and manipulate the threads that connect people to the things they love. Io is the third sister, and therefore she is able to cut threads. The story kicks off when Io is hired by the 'mobqueen' to investigate murders linked to vengeful wraiths. To top it off, she has to work with the very person she's been avoiding for years, a boy she's fated to love - except he already has a girlfriend. If you think that the above sounds like t

Indie Book Review: The City of Snow and Stars

THE CITY OF SNOW AND STARS by S.D. Howard 4 Stars Verdict: A dark fantasy with a wholesome cast.  Trigger warning for rape/abuse.  'I'm not wanted for me, only what I can give, and there is nothing left.' I don't usually quote books, but this is a very quotable story! The dialogue was powerful in places, and the way the characters bonded together was the strength of this Christian fantasy adventure.   It's written in third person with a narrative that I personally found a little distant at times. That said, the characters are easy to root for. Runaways Trinia and Jayden team up with a wizard to take down Trinia's abusive father before he can take over the kingdom. They're joined by a talking wolf and a shapeshifter called Batanny, who in many ways seems like an older version of Trinia. Threads of pain run through this book and pull the characters together in a way that makes this dark read still feel wholesome at times.  It soon became an easy to enjoy fant